Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Italian Herb Cheese Rolls


My inspiration for this recipe was a container of left over Romano cheese that needed to be used.

FUN FACT: True Romano cheese is actually called Pecorino Romano and originated in Rome, Italy.

The old cheese told me that it would very much like to be part of a roll and so that is what I made it into.
These rolls turned out better than I expected. I guess that means I am learning to make bread! Huzzah for me!


The recipe started out the same as always: follow the challah bread recipe found here. I incorporated Italian seasoning right at the beginning. This made the dough smell fabulous the whole time I was mixing and baking.


SIDE NOTE: I didn’t have Italian seasoning so I just made my own: equal parts basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.

After the first rise, I divided the dough into 16 pieces. They were not all even, but it turns out that was ok. Some of the pieces ended up really small; I just rolled them together with another small one to make a dough rope about the size of a larger one.


Next, I rolled out the dough pieces into dough ropes and then tied them in a knot.


Tying dough into knots was trickier than I thought it would be because the pieces were not quite long enough to tie a full knot, so it’s more like a tucking action. I wrapped one side of the dough rope around the other and then tucked the ends in.


FUN FACT: I found a whole website dedicated to tying knots. If you don’t know how, check this place out: http://www.iwillknot.com/

After they rose the second time, I brushed them with an egg wash and then pressed the cheese on top.


When they finished baking I couldn’t believe how great they looked: almost like rolls that come from a restaurant.


Italian cheese rolls

Ingredients:

1 package of active dry yeast
Pinch of sugar
1 cup water divided in half
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
¼ cup honey
½ cup shredded Romano cheese

Directions:

Mix the yeast packet, a pinch of sugar, and ½ cup warm water in a bowl, mix together until dissolved, then let sit about 10 minutes or until foamy.

In a large mixing bowl, add 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, eggs, oil, salt, Italian seasoning, honey, and ½ cup water. Mix together with a whisk until smooth.

Add the yeast mixture and continue mixing with the whisk.

Start to add the rest of the flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each cup. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time if needed to incorporate the flour.

When all the flour has been added, knead by hand for about 5 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth.

Place finished dough in a well-greased container and allow it to rise until double in size, about two hours.

When the dough has finished rising, turn out onto a floured surface and divide into sixteen pieces.

Roll each piece between your hands to make a rope about 7 inches long, then tie dough rope into a knot.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise again for about 30 minutes.

Brush with an egg wash then cover the top with the Romano cheese.

Bake at 375° for 17 minutes.

Transfer to a cooling rack when finished baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment