Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cornmeal-herb Batter Bread


This recipe book is setup with a master recipe and then multiple variations of the master recipe.  Each variation teaches you a new technique.

The white velvet batter bread here was the master recipe and now I’m going to start on some variations. The first variation I’m attempting is cornbread, substituting a little cornmeal for the flour and then adding some spices.

Here it is all done!  Isn’t it pretty?

This variation calls for tarragon leaves, summer savory leaves, and thyme. Since I’m not sure what summer savory leaves are and I’m too cheap to buy a whole bottle of spice for one recipe, I’m going to use what I have already; parsley, thyme, and rosemary!

(Yes, I buy generic spices; remember that part about how I’m cheap.)

SIDE NOTE: Turns out summer savory is the name of an herb.  There is also a winter variety: winter savory.  There is a great article all about it here.

To make this variation, I started following along the recipe as normal. I added an extra ½ cup water at the beginning this time, when the milk is put in, instead of tablespoon by tablespoon.

I substituted ½ cup cornmeal for ½ cup flour. Next, I mixed the spices, a short ½ teaspoon of each, and the cornmeal together with the remaining flour.

Remember, after you mix everything together your dough should be like a batter.  In addition to the ½ cup water I already put in, I still needed one more tablespoon of water. 

Look how sticky my dough is this time!  I’m learning!

For those of you worried about trying to find a baking canister or coffee can, fear not!  Batter recipes can be made in other types of molds. 

SIDE NOTE:  Since batter breads are so moist, they need to be baked in some kind of mold because they cannot hold their own shape like other yeast breads.

This week I’m going to use a springform pan. 


FUN FACT: According to wikipedia, a springform pan is a type of bakeware that features sides that can be removed from the base. The name refers to the construction style of this pan with the base and the sides as separate pieces that are held together when the base is aligned with a groove that rings the bottom of the walls. The pan is then secured by a latch on the exterior of the wall. This tightens the 'belt' that becomes the walls of the pan and secures the base into the groove at the base of the walls. Neat!

 Here is the dough in the pan

It was a lot harder to tell how much the dough was rising, so I had to put a toothpick in to measure. The dough was taking forever to rise. I let it rise for two hours and then called it good.



The cornbread smelled very aromatic as it was cooking.  When it was done, I smothered it in butter.


We are going to have this tonight with some home-made-from-a-can chilli! I really enjoyed how this variation turned out.  Since the basic recipe had a sweet flavor, I was surprised to find out that this one didn’t.  The herbs and the cornmeal alter it just enough that it tastes like a completely different bread recipe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment