Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Milk Bread - Part II


You will remember from the Milk Bread post that I wasn’t too pleased with how the milk bread turned out. I made the same recipe again, but did a few things differently in the hopes that it would turn out fluffier and smoother.



I decided to use my stand mixer for kneading instead of doing it by hand. Unfortunately, the dough still didn’t reach the “shaggy” stage like the book said it should, even with the mixer’s extra muscle. In the end the dough was smoother than before, but still not shaggy.

I felt like the dough didn’t rise as much as it should have last time, so I increased the rising time from just 1 hour to 1.5 hours. It rose higher this time but deflated slightly when it was baking.

Overall, the inside texture was a lot smoother and fluffier than last time. It still had a pretty thick crust and was accompanied with a nice sweet flavor kids would probably enjoy (after you cut the crust off, of course).


[SUMMARY – I liked it? Didn’t like it? Disappointed? Encouraged?] I think I’m going to give milk bread one last chance by finding a different recipe to see how it compares to the one from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment